Prep for the Perfect Road Trip
Singable tunes. Check.
Water bottle. Check.
Healthy road snacks. Che…Wait, did you say healthy?
We’ve all been there. Summertime is vacation season, and that puts a lot of us on the road to our happy places this time of year. Unfortunately, many fumble with their weight-loss goals when they step away from their typical routine and “let loose” on vacay. What’s worse is when the wheels fall off the bus before we even hit our destination! Repeat after us – this DOES NOT have to be you!
The secret to a successful road trip is proper planning. Follow these five simple steps to make sure you stay on track once you hit the road.
- Pack a cooler. Get yourself some reusable ice packs (so you don’t have to deal with messy water leaks) and stash some of your favorite snackies. Meat and cheese rollups, mixed berries, and even olives make easy eats for the road.
- Don’t forget the drinks. Leave room in that cooler for your beverage of choice so you don’t get sucked into sugary energy drinks or soda pop when you stop for gas. If you stick with water, just bring along some packs of your favorite Moxifit electrolytes to add a little flavor when you’re in the mood! You could have lemonade, watermelon, raspberry, or grape all at your fingertips!
- Research your options. If you’re going to be in the car for an extended period of time, odds are you’ll be stopping for a meal or two along the way. Map out your route and identify some major towns you’ll likely pass through at mealtimes. Do a little digging for online menus and plan to hit the establishments with the best healthy options for you.
- Know your go-to’s. There may come a time when you’re out of snacks and hungry as a bear when you stop to fuel up. If this happens to you, don’t panic. Scout around for some staple items like jerky or pickles (sold at most gas stations) and choose something to tide you over until you can get to a restaurant or grocery store with more choices.
- Commit. What happens on vacation, does not stay on vacation. The bloating and extra pounds will, unfortunately, follow you home. So, it’s important to head into your trip with the right mindset about your priorities. Remember why you started your journey to a healthier lifestyle, and refuse to sabotage the hard work you’ve put in so far! Practice, practice, and more practice will build these habits into your daily life – making it easy peasy down the road.
Follow these tips, and you’ll end up having a trip full of great memories without the feelings of guilt or disappointment when you return to reality. For more ideas like these, follow @beMoxifit on Facebook and Instagram, or connect with a Moxifit clinic and coach to start your journey!