How To Have Healthy Skin From Within
Ever notice a breakout or two after indulging in a sugary dessert? Well, it’s no coincidence! What we put in our bodies directly reflects onto the outside as well. Fueling your body with foods rich in vitamins and minerals can cause noticeable changes in your skin’s (and other areas) health. That is why we’ve highlighted some do’s and don’ts when striving for that healthy, youthful glow!
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: They improve cholesterol, battle inflammation, and help preserve the collagen in your skin. Try adding salmon, tuna, flaxseeds, chia seeds, or edamame to the menu this week!
- Foods That are Rich in Vitamin C: It helps fight wrinkles and keeps your skin tone looking even and bright. Some great options to try are citrus fruits, bell peppers, broccoli, strawberries, or kiwi.
- Foods That are Rich in Vitamin E: It is an antioxidant that can help prevent cell damage. Foods rich in Vitamin E include almonds, sunflower seeds, and peanuts or peanut butter.
- Polyphenols: Polyphenols are a category of plant compounds that serve as an antioxidant protecting the skin from free radicals. Foods high in polyphenols include tea, coffee, grapes and even dark chocolate!
- Refined Grains and Sugars: Refined carbohydrates are absorbed quickly into the bloodstream which rapidly raises blood sugar levels. This causes insulin levels to rise and may be correlated to an increase in acne. Some examples include bread, crackers, cereal or desserts made with white flour, pasta made with white flour, and soda.
- Fast Food: Acne is strongly associated with eating a Western-style diet full of calories, fat and refined carbohydrates. Studies have found regularly eating fast food can increase a person’s risk of developing acne by up to 24%.
- Alcohol: Alcohol has the potential to speed up the aging process and causes changes to skin’s texture, especially in females if it is not consumed moderately. This is because alcohol is a diuretic, meaning it pulls water out of the body – and we know one of the key ways to maintain youthful looking skin is by staying hydrated!
As with anything in life, what we put in our bodies is all about balance. It is also important to be mindful. Perhaps you looked over this list and had a couple realizations about what could be causing your skin irritation. Of course you could eliminate it completely, or you could just be mindful the next time you have it it may cause some not-so-great side effects. Being mindful and making healthy choices doesn’t have to be an all-or-nothing decision, it’s just about gradual improvement.